Sunday, February 7, 2010

Feb. 7



This tangled mess picture sums up how I'm feeling seven days into RPM.

My focus has now shifted from a decent balance between my two projects Mad Pierrot and Machete Beard, to almost entirely Machete Beard. I had a talk with my collaborator yesterday, the one who will be doing all of the lyrics. I presented him with a few different song ideas (folky, poppy, beat driven, spastic) so I could get a feel for what kind of music he's comfortable writing to. The verdict after our discussion is still kind of vague, but I've got some definite directions that I'm headed.

TV on the Radio

Blood Brothers

These Arms Are Snakes

Cursive

Maybe even some Devo

At least these are some of the thoughts I took from yesterday's talk. I've got two rough cuts done today that I'm increasingly happy about. They're still very rough around the edges but the idea is there.



This RPM Challenge certainly is just that, a challenge. But I've never been more excited and invigorated! I stay up too late making beats trying not to wake up the roommates, and my days are filled with loud guitars and constant playback over my monitors. I'm sure I'm driving everyone crazy (myself?) but it's absolutely worth it.

So these next few days will be all Machete Beard so I can send the music off to be engulfed and returned anew. Then the straightaway for Mad Pierrot!

I wish I had some songs to post but I'm still trying to figure out how to get them into MP3 format instead of WAV or AIF, the only two options I've found with Ableton Live. Also, the size of these songs is 4 times that of any other songs on my iTunes, so I've still got some work to do, but I do have a quick video posted. Although the music on it intended for Machete Beard is now scrapped in favor of something more forward moving. Oh Well.

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment